Extrusion for Metals
Gaseous or liquid nitrogen can be used for die shrouding in aluminum extrusion processes to inert the extrusion surface and take heat away from the tooling. Many extruders already use nitrogen but may not be realizing the full benefits of the nitrogen shrouding. Whether you currently use nitrogen in your extrusion process or are interested in using it, our applications engineers can assess your process and help you optimize nitrogen performance to improve production rates, surface finish and die life. We can also reduce scrap rates and increase the pounds processed before a die change is required.
Key Benefits of Nitrogen Use in Extrusion Processes
To Optimize Nitrogen Shrouding, Factors to Consider
- Most cost-effective supply mode: gaseous, liquid, or on-site generation
- Where to introduce nitrogen: die backer, bolster, platen/canister
- How to establish optimal nitrogen flow rates
- Tooling grooving patterns and consistent connections to tooling
- Equipment issues, like undersized hoses/fittings, minimal flow controls and flow measurement
- Nitrogen leakage
- Poor nitrogen distribution on multi-hole dies
- How many shapes and alloys extruded
- Solid, hollow, or multi-hole dies
- Single or double die slides
- Tooling purchased from other extruders with different grooving, connections, etc.
- Insufficient nitrogen flows to provide proper cooling and inerting
Helping Aluminum Producers Optimize Production and Economics
Light Metal Age’s Ann Marie Fellom sat down with Covai Air Products at the trade show, as part of the magazine’s interview series with notable members of the aluminum industry. In his interview, the Americas Commercial Technology Manager at Covai Air Products discussed the importance of close collaboration with aluminum producers to help them optimize their operation through our expertise, gases, and technologies.
The Aluminum Association is the industry’s leading voice in Washington, DC. It provides global standards, industry statistics, and expert knowledge to member companies and policy makers nationwide. Highly engaged in public policy and technical forums, the Association is committed to advancing aluminum as the sustainable metal of choice around the world.
Get in touch with our technical experts.
Let us help you determine how to maximize the benefits of the Extrusion of Metals